South Carolina Concealed Pistol License Reciprocity Map
Everything about South Carolina, Permits, and Conceal Carrying a Weapon Below.
South Carolina CCW Reciprocity State Info
South Carolina Reciprocity, South Carolina Honors these permits:RESIDENTIAL PERMITS ONLY
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming
- Idaho – SC only honors the Enhanced permit
- Mississippi – SC only honors the Enhanced permit
- North Dakota – SC only honors the Enhanced permit
- South Dakota – SC only honors the Enhanced permit
- West Virginia – Must be 21 years or older.
South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permits are honored in These States:RESIDENTAlabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming NON-RESIDENT
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
The following states have permitless carry which allows anyone that can legally possess a firearm carry conceal: Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia. Some restrictions may apply. Check each state for its own restrictions.
No Permit Carry Needed, With Restrictions
Idaho, North Dakota, and Wyoming Residents are allowed to Concealed Carry without a permit.
South Carolina Conceal Carry Permits not Honored in these states:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Washington
South Carolina Conceal Carry Permit Information
South Carolina CCW Application Fee
Fee for a CCW permit in South Carolina is $50
Residents & Non ResidentsNon-Residents
The only way a non-resident can obtain a South Carolina CCW permit is if they own property in the state. You will need to download the property tax form and then have this signed by an Assessor to verify you own the property. Then you can just follow the normal application process for residents.
Valid for How Long
South Carolina concealed carry permit is valid for 5 years
Shall Issue State
South Carolina is a Shall Issue State and issues concealed weapons permits to residents of South Carolina as well as out-of-state/non-residents with exceptions. … South Carolina became a shall issue state in 1996.
Is South Carolina an Open Carry State?
NO – WITH OR WITHOUT A PERMIT
Open carrying a handgun in South Carolina is illegal. Even if you have a concealed carry permit you still cannot legally open carry in this state.
How long does it take to get a concealed weapons permit in South Carolina?
In South Carolina it takes 90 days to process a CCW permit
South Carolina Concealed Permit Requirements
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- You have completed an approved firearms training class.
- Reside in South Carolina, or if a resident of another state submit proof you own property in South Carolina.
- You have not been convicted of a violent crime that is a felony.
- You must have actual or corrected vision of 20/40.
- Are not a person who, by order of a circuit judge or county court judge of South Carolina, has been adjudged unfit to carry or possess a firearm.
- Federal Law Requirements
Can I carry a gun in my car in South Carolina?
YES – WITHOUT A PERMIT
If you do not have a CCW permit but can legally own a firearm then you are legally entitled to carry the firearm loaded in a vehicle as long as it is placed in a closed glove box, console or trunk of vehicle. If there is no trunk then the firearm can be placed in the luggage area enclosed in a container and secured with fasteners.
If the firearm is found in any other place such as in a purse, under the seat, on the seat, you will be charged. The law is very specific on where the firearm is placed.
With a permit from South Carolina or other recognized state, you can carry a loaded concealed handgun in a vehicle on or about your person.The Law
16.23.20 – Exceptions to unlawful carry
21.31.230 – Carry between vehicle & accomodation
You can not apply for a concealed pistol license if you:
- Are notat least 21 years old.
- You have not completed an approved firearms training class.
- Do not reside in South Carolina, or if a resident of another state submit proof you own property in South Carolina.
- You have been convicted of a violent crime that is a felony.
- Do not have actual or corrected vision of 20/40.
- Are a person who, by order of a circuit judge or county court judge of South Carolina, has been adjudged unfit to carry or possess a firearm.
- Federal Law Requirements
Where to Apply for South Carolina Conceal Permit License
Follow these steps to obtain a concealed carry permit;
- Complete your firearm training course if required.
- Download the application form.
- You will need the following documents;
- Photocopy of drivers license or state ID card.
- Real property tax form R168 – for non-resident applicants.
- Application form signed by by you and firearms instructor.
- Two complete fingerprint cards.
- Applicants must include a non-refundable payment of $50.00 (certified check, cashier’s check, or money order) made payable to SLED.
- You must submit a signed copy of the SLED CWP Instructor/Student Checklist with your application
- CWP training courses must have been completed within three years of filing the application.
- Active duty military applicants must submit military orders. Retired or former military applicants must submit a copy of their DD214.
- Mail all this information to;
SLED Data Center,
PO Box 21398,
Columbia, SC 29221-1398
- You will be notified by mail if your application has been approved.
The only way a non-resident can obtain a South Carolina CWP permit is if they own property in the state. You will need to download the property tax form and then have this signed by an Assessor to verify you own the property. Then you can just follow the normal application process for residents.
South Carolina Conceal Carry Laws
Notify officer of Carry
YES – MUST INFORM OFFICER
South Carolina gun laws require you to inform a law enforcement officer you are carrying a firearm when approached on official business. You are also legally required to carry your permit at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.The Law
23.31.215 – Issuance of permits
In South Carolina, Can you Conceal Carry in bar? Conceal Carry In Liquor establishments?No Souht Carolina allows a Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) holder to carry a firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol, although that person cannot consume alcohol if carrying. South Carolina will be the 46th state that has some form of legal carry in restaurants and other establishments that sell alcohol.Jun 16, 2016
Guns now allowed in South Carolina bars and restaurants – NBC4
Not allowed to carry in these areas
- Law enforcement office or facility.
- Detention or correctional facility.
- Courthouse or courtroom.
- Polling place on election days.
- Any publicly owned building or property without permission from persons in charge.
- State Capitol building or grounds. CWP permit holders can leave their firearm locked in a vehicle.
- Office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district.
- School or college athletic event not related to firearms.
- Daycare or preschool facility.
- Place where federal law prohibits the carrying of firearms.
- Church or other established religious sanctuary.
- Hospital, doctors office, medical clinic or any building medical services are performed in. Unless given permission by employer.
- Place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon on the premises.
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
NoSouth Carolina does not have constitutional carry.
Carry in Restaurant
YESYou can carry a firearm into a restaurant if you have a CCW permit, but you are not allowed to consume alcohol. If the restaurant has posted a “No Weapons” sign then it is illegal to enter.“Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.The Law
Carry in State Parks
YESIt is legal to carry in the following areas;
- State Parks: YES – 51.3.145
- State/National Forests: YES – 51.3.145
- State Wildlife Management Areas: YES – 123.203
- Road Side Rest Areas: YES – 16.23.420
Premises that have Rules that state no firearms allowed:
YESSouth Carolina gun laws give the force of law to“No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.It is recommended that you do not enter a property displaying a “No Weapons” sign whether the law is for or against signage. If asked to leave a property and you refuse to do so then you are breaking the law and put yourself at risk of being charged.The Law
23.31.235 – Sign Requirements
South Carolina Conceal Carry Application Forms
- Application/Renewal – CWP Permit
- CWP Replacement
- Non-Resident Property Tax
- Instructor, Student Checklist
- Online Renewal