Red light therapy is one of the most popular and well-known treatments for hair loss. However, many people don’t know how to make it as effective as possible. You can look through laser hair cap reviews at the Heliotherapy Research Institute to find advice for the treatment. Also, in this guide, we will teach you everything you need to know about red light therapy and how to make it work for you!
Hair loss reasons
There are many possible causes of hair loss, including genetics, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, skin conditions, stress, autoimmune disorders, medications, and treatments (such as chemotherapy). While there are many potential causes of hair loss, one of the most common is aging. Our hair follicles begin to shorten and grow thinner, weaker hairs as we get older. This action is called miniaturization, and it’s a considerable contribution to hair loss in both men and women.
Types of hair loss
Hair loss can be classified into two main types: genetic and acquired. Hereditary hair loss is the most common type, accounting for 95% of all hair loss cases. It is usually passed down from one generation to the next and may be present at birth or later in life. The most common form of genetic hair loss is male pattern baldness, but also it can be a women’s problem. Acquired baldness is caused by the factors mentioned earlier and by the use of medications to treat certain diseases and conditions. Some common causes of acquired hair loss include autoimmune diseases (e.g., alopecia areata), thyroid disorders, iron deficiency anemia, chemotherapy, and certain skin conditions.
Briefly about how red light therapy works
Red light therapy uses low-level red light to stimulate cells and promote healing. It is also known as photobiomodulation or low-level laser therapy (LLLT). Red light therapy is a safe and natural treatment for hair loss. Below are the main processes that RLT encourages.
Increased cellular energy
Red light therapy increases levels of ATP, or adenosine triphosphate. ATP is the cell’s energy currency, and it’s responsible for powering all cellular processes, including hair growth.
Increased collagen production
Collagen is a protein that provides structure to your skin and hair, and it decreases as you age. Red light therapy can help reverse the signs of aging by stimulating collagen production. Infrared light in the device penetrates deeper into the skin to stimulate collagen production more effectively. Another way to increase collagen production is to eat foods rich in vitamin C and vitamin A.
Increasing blood circulation
One of the primary mechanisms by which red light therapy is thought to help with hair loss is increasing microcirculation to the scalp. It is essential because hair follicles need a good blood supply to function correctly. By increasing blood flow to the area, you can ensure that the follicles get all the nutrients and oxygen they need to stay healthy. Exposing the scalp to LLLT for just minutes a day can improve circulation and promote healthier hair growth.
Tips effective for hair loss treatment
If you’re looking for an effective way to improve hair loss, red light therapy may be a good option. Here are some tips to make it more effective:
- Follow all of the recommended treatments for optimal results.
- Use a power level that is comfortable for you. It should not be too hot or cause pain.
- Ensure that the area you’re treating is clean and free of any products or debris that could block the light from reaching your scalp.
- Start with shorter sessions and gradually increase the duration as your skin becomes more accustomed to the treatment.
- Expose the area to the light for at least 15 minutes per session, preferably closer to 30 minutes.
- Use a wavelength of 630-660 nanometers for best results.
- Be consistent with your sessions, and perform them regularly (several times per week is ideal).
- And finally, be patient! It is a long consistent process to see significant results from red light therapy. But if you stick with it, you may be amazed at the transformation in your hair!
You can make it more effective and see better results by following these tips. Give it a try and see for yourself!
Positives of red light therapy
Red light therapy is a safe way to improve hair loss. We count more benefits of this advice:
- Red light therapy is a popular treatment for hair loss because it is relatively affordable and non-invasive.
- It is painless and safe for all skin types.
- Reduces the inflammation in the scalp that can damage hair follicles and inhibit hair growth.
- Red light therapy is more effective than hair growth drugs – researchers found that red light therapy was more effective than minoxidil, the most popular hair loss drug on the market, at stimulating hair growth.
- Stimulation of cellular activity and increasing collagen production, as was mentioned, promote hair growth. Increasing collagen production may also help to reduce some of the symptoms associated with aging, such as wrinkles.
- Improved hair quality – research suggests that red light therapy can improve the overall quality of your hair. Scientists published that RLT effectively treated thinning hair. RTL increased hair count, density, thickness, and strength and decreased shedding. Red light therapy can improve the quality of your nails.
Negatives of red light therapy
While red light therapy is generally considered safe, a few potential risks are associated with its use. These include:
- Skin irritation. Red light therapy can cause skin irritation, especially if the treated area is not adequately protected from the light.
- Pigmentation changes. Red light therapy can cause changes in skin pigmentation, which may be permanent. It is more likely to occur if you have a darker skin tone.
- Increased risk of skin cancer. Some studies have shown that red light therapy can increase the risk of skin cancer, although more research is needed to confirm this. If you are concerned about this risk, you should talk to your doctor before beginning treatment.
However, it is always important to speak to your doctor before starting any new treatment, especially if you have a medical condition or are taking medication that could interact with red light therapy.
Specific studies on red light therapy and hair growth
A study published in the International Journal of Trichology in 2014 found that low-level laser therapy (LLLT) was an effective treatment for androgenetic alopecia, also known as male pattern baldness. The study participants who received LLLT treatments had significant increases in hair density compared to those who did not receive any treatment. Another study, published in the Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy, looked at red light therapy on postmenopausal women with thinning hair. Red Light Therapy is FDA-cleared.
So, there you have it! These are just a few tips to make your red light therapy sessions more effective for hair loss. If you have concerns about using red light therapy for hair loss, please speak with your doctor first. Red light therapy is a safe and natural way to treat hair loss, so don’t hesitate to try it. Thank you for reading, and good luck with your treatments!