West Virginia Concealed Carry License Reciprocity Map
Everything about West Virginia, Permits, and Conceal Carrying a Weapon Below.
West Virginia CCW Reciprocity State Info
West Virginia Reciprocity, WV Honors these permits:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming
West Virginia Concealed Weapons Permits are honored in These States:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
No Permit Needed States
The following states have permitless carry which allows anyone that can legally possess a firearm carry conceal: Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia. Some restrictions may apply. Check each state for its own restrictions.
No Permit Carry Needed, With Restrictions
Idaho, North Dakota, and Wyoming Residents are allowed to Concealed Carry without a permit.
West Virginia Conceal Carry Permits not Honored in these states:
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington DC ,Washington state.
West Virginia Conceal Carry Permit Information
West Virginia CCW Application Fee
Optional CCW $75 Provisional CCW $25 non renewable $25 for background check
Residents & Non Residents
West Virginia does not issue non-resident licenses.
Valid for How Long
West Virginia concealed carry permit is valid for 5 years
Shall Issue State
West Virginia is a shall issue state
Is West Virginia an Open Carry State?
YES – WITHOUT A LICENSE
Open carry is legal in West Virginia without a license, but not in places listed as off-limits
The minimum age for open carry is 18.
How long does it take to get a concealed weapons permit in West Virginia
Applications must be processed within 45 days.
West Virginia Concealed Permit Requirements
Do these steps to get a CCW
- Complete your firearm training course.
- Download the application form.
- You will need the following documents; Completed application, Firearms course certificate, Drivers license or ID card
- Submit your application at the Sheriffs office in the county you live in.
- They will contact you when the permit/license is ready.
Can I carry a gun in my car in West Virginia
Yes even wthout a permit
There is no requirement to have a CCW license to carry a firearm in a vehicle provided the person is at least 21 years old, a US citizen and is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under state and federal laws.
Members of the military aged 18 and over can carry in a vehicle with only their military ID.
It is recommended to have your gun unloaded and in a secure location while traveling in a vehicle.
Where to Apply for West Virginia Conceal Carry PermitApplications for a CCW permit must be submitted to the sheriffs office in the county where you reside.
West Virgiinia Conceal Carry Laws
Notify officer of Carry
NO nothing in the law says you must notify police when stopped
In West Virginia, Can you Conceal Carry in bar? Conceal Carry In Liquor establishments?The law does not state that you can not carry in a bar.
Not allowed to carry in these areas
Places Off-Limits in West Virginia
- The State Capitol Complex
- Regional jails, detention facilities or State Division of Corrections facilities
- County courthouses or any facility housing a court of this state
- A school bus or any public primary or secondary education building, structure, facility or grounds including a vocational education building, structure, facility or grounds where secondary vocational education programs are conducted or at a school-sponsored function, or in or on a private primary or secondary education building, structure or facility
- Any building or area limited by municipal code. Certain municipalities may have further handgun restrictions in municipal code. Before carrying a weapon in a West Virginia municipality, it is recommended that you inquire as to such laws with the appropriate city attorney’s office
- Any property where firearms are prohibited by the owner, lessee or other person charged with the care, custody and control of the real property
- Wherever signs are posted indicating weapon restrictions
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Carry in RestaurantYes
Carry in State Parks
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed as off limits
Premises that have signs that state no firearms allowed:“No gun” signs are not noted in West Virginia gun laws.
Wests Virginia Conceal Carry Application Forms
Monday – Friday9am – 5pm
Address116 Walnut St.
CityMorgantown, WV 26505