Oregon Concealed Handgun License Reciprocity map
Everything about Oregon, Permits, and Conceal Carrying a Weapon Below.
Oregon CHL Reciprocity State Info
Hand guns must be carried in accordance with State Laws
Oregon CCW Reciprocity:
Oregon does not honor any other state Permit/Licenses.
Oregon Concealed Weapons Permits are Honored in These States:
- Alabama, Alaska, Arizona,Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont and Virginia. Some restrictions may apply. Check each state for its own restrictions.
No Permit Needed States
The following states have permitless carry which allows anyone that can legally possess a firearm carry conceal: Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia. Some restrictions may apply. Check each state for its own restrictions.
Oregon Concealed Carry Permits not Honored in these states:
NOT Honored by these States: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, George, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New York City, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virgin Islands, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, American Samoa and N. Mariana
Oregon Concealed Carry Permit Information
Oregon Application Fee
Oregon-to obtain a concealed handgun license the fee is $65
Renewal fee $50
$15 for address or name change
Residents & Non Residents
Oregon state will issue permits to people who are residents of states that border Oregon. Those states are Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada. A non-resident from the bordering states listed should be able to go to any sheriff in Oregon and apply. Issue to non-resident is on a May issue basis.
Valid for How Long
Oregon’s concealed handgun license is valid for 4 years
Shall Issue State
Oregon state is a shall issue state for residents. As long as the applicant meets the requirements then they will receive a Oregon State concealed handgun license (CHL). However, the sheriff is given the discretion as to whether or not a license will be issued and can deny a handgun license if he thinks the applicant is a danger to themselves or others. There are no guidelines as to how these decisions should be made.
Is Oregon State an Open Carry State?
Can I open carry in Oregon state?
Oregon is a traditional open carry state. Open Carry is legal but the state gave the local governments the right to adopt laws/ordinances on carrying loaded firearms by those without a permit/license to carry.
How long does it take to get a concealed weapons permit in Oregon state?
In Oregon if the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue and mail or otherwise deliver to the applicant at the address shown on the application within 45 days.
Oregon Concealed handgun license Requirements
You must show a certificate or written statement that you have been trained by:
- A handgun safety course utilizing police instructors or certified by the NRA or
- A hunter education safety approved by the State Department of Fish & Wild Life or
- You hold a previous Oregon license to carry a concealed handgun
- Be a citizen of the United States of America. If you were not born a citizen of the United States, you must provide proof of citizenship, i.e., a U.S. Passport, certification of naturalization, or if you were born on a military base, a birth certificate.
- Have your current address on your driver’s license.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Legibly completed and signed fingerprint card.
- 2 pieces of ID, one must have a picture
- Completed application (both pages)
- Correct fees
- Stamped, self-addressed envelope in which to mail your license.
Can I carry a gun in my car in Oregon state?
CARRY IN CAR WITHOUT A PERMIT/LICENSE: Oregon has no State law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it’s:
Not concealed or
Not readily accessible-Handgun stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container that unlocks with a key.
You may carry a loaded handgun in a holster on your hip as long as it is uncovered.
However, some cities have ordinances against loaded carry in public places and your car is considered a public place. Make sure to check local regulations.
CARRY IN CAR WITH LICENSE/PERMIT: Oregon Concealed hangun law (CHL) specifically states that it overrides all local (city/county) restrictions. Therefore, if you have a CHL, you are good to carry in your car. Only the statewide and federal restrictions apply (airports, secure zones, federal buildings, etc).
You can not apply for a concealed handgun license if you:
- are under 21 years of age.
- have outstanding warrants for your arrest.
- are an unlawful user or addicted to a controlled substance.
- are on any form of pretrial release.
- are Registered as a sex offender in any state.
- have any legal condition that would prohibit you from possessing a firearm under either Oregon or Federal Law.
Where to Apply for Oregon Concealed Hangun License
You can only apply at the Sheriff’s office of the county that you live in.
Non-residents must also apply at the Sheriff’s office.
Oregon Concealed Carry Laws
Notify officer of Carry
It is not required to voluntarily notify an officer of carrying a firearm, however you must provide your license if asked.
In Oregon, can you Conceal Carry in bar? Conceal Carry In Liquor establishments?I cannot find any law prohibiting concealed carry in a bar or liquor establishment in Oregon. Call your local sheriff in Oregon for any guidelines on this matter.
Not allowed to carry in these areasIn Oregon state these places are off limits to carry:
- Correctional Facility
- Any Federal Facility.
- Law Enforcement Facility
- State Courthouses
- Social Security Office
- Secured areas in airports
- Secured areas in airplanes.
- Posted private property where the owner prohibits firearms possession.
- National Parks
- Indian Reservations or property-you may not carry a firearm without the written permission of the tribal judge, this may apply to certain casinos on tribal lands.
- Many private businesses have conditions regarding the possession of firearms on their premises. If you violate these conditions you could, under certain circumstances, be subject to arrest under Oregon Trespass laws, in which case, if convicted, your concealed handgun license would be seized and or revoked.
Link to Oregon State Gun Laws
Carry in RestaurantYES
Carry in State ParksPlaces allowed to carry in Oregon
- State parks
- State and National forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state, except those listed as Off-limits.
Premises that have Rules that state no firearms allowed:
- Many private businesses have conditions regarding the possession of firearms on their premises. If you violate these condition you could, under certain circumstances, be subject to arrest under Oregon Trespass Laws, in which case, if convicted your concealed handgun license would be seized and or revoked.
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Oregon Concealed Carry Application Forms