Michigan Concealed Pistol License Reciprocity Map
Everything about Michigan, Permits, and Conceal Carrying a Weapon Below.
Michigan CCW Reciprocity State Info
Michigan Reciprocity, MI Honors these permits:Residential Permits Only
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming Districts & Territories
District of Columbia, New York City, Puerto Rico,
Michigan Concealed Weapons Permits are honored in These States:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
No Permit Needed States
The following states have permitless carry which allows anyone that can legally possess a firearm carry conceal: Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia. Some restrictions may apply. Check each state for its own restrictions.
No Permit Carry Needed, With Restrictions
Idaho, North Dakota, and Wyoming Residents are allowed to Concealed Carry without a permit.
Michigan Conceal Carry Permits not Honored in these states:STATES California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island.
Michigan Conceal Carry Permit Information
Michgan Application Fee
The fees are explained below;New Application
$74 Michigan State Police recieve
$26 County clerk receives
$100 Total Renewals
$36 County clerk recieves
$79 State Police receives
You will need to pay an additional $15 for fingerprints with new applications.
Residents & Non Residents
Michigan issues permits to Residents
7) (b) …If the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant’s residency in this state is established, the county clerk shall waive the 6-month residency requirement and the applicant may apply for a concealed pistol license at the time the applicant’s residency in this state is established. For the purposes of this section, An Individual is considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:
- (i) The Individual has a valid, lawfully obtained driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.
- (ii) The Individual is lawfully registered to vote in this state.
- (iii) The Individual is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person’s home of record is in this state.
- (iv) The Individual is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person’s home of record is in another state.
Valid for How Long
Michigans concealed carry permit is valid for 5 years
Shall Issue State
Michigan gun laws operate on a “Shall Issue” policy at the local level.
Is Michigan an Open Carry State?
Can I open carry in Michigan?
YES – WITHOUT A PERMIT
Carrying a handgun without a CPL license in Michigan is legal with a few restrictions.
Without a CPL License
- You cannot open carry at a business or grocery store that sell’s alcohol.
- Residents of Michigan can open carry a handgun without a CCW license if the gun is registered to their name.
- Some areas listed as off limits may not apply to persons who open carry.
- Non-residents who do not have a CCW license from their home state are not allowed to conceal or open carry.
- You cannot carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a CCW license.
- A person must be at least 18 years old to open carry.
How long does it take to get a concealed weapons permit in Michigan?45 Days
Under Michigan law new applications for a CPL license must be processed with 45 days.
Michigans Concealed Permit Requirements
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- You have completed an approved firearms training class.
- You have a valid state-issued driver’s license or personal identification card.
- Be a legal resident of Michigan and reside in Michigan for at least six months immediately prior to application.
- You have not been convicted of a violent crime that is a felony.
- Be a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United States
- Not be subject to an order or disposition for any of the following;
- Involuntary hospitalization or involuntary alternative treatment.
- Legal incapacitation
- Personal protection order
- Bond or conditional release prohibiting purchase or possession of a firearm
- Finding of not guilty by reason of insanity
- Not be prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm under Michigan law.
- Not be under a court order of legal incapacity in this state or elsewhere.
- Have not been found guilty but mentally ill of any crime, and has not offered a plea of not guilty of, or been acquitted of, any crime by reason of insanity.
- Have not been convicted of a misdemeanor violation of any of the following in the three years immediately preceding the date of application and a charge for a misdemeanor violation of any of the following is not pending against the applicant in this state or elsewhere at the time he or she applies for a license: (Long….list on their website)
- Have not been convicted of a misdemeanor violation of any of the following in the eight years immediately preceding the date of the application and a charge for a misdemeanor violation of any of the following is not pending against the applicant in this state or elsewhere at the time he or she applies for a CPL: (another long….list on their website)
- Is not currently and has never been subject to an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness.
- Not have a diagnosed mental illness at the time the application is made that includes an assessment that the individual presents a danger to himself or herself or to another, regardless of whether he or she is receiving treatment for that illness.
- Have never been convicted of a felony in Michigan or elsewhere, and a felony charge against the applicant is not pending in Michigan or elsewhere at the time he or she applies for a CPL.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Can I carry a gun in my car in Michigan?
Transporting or Possessing Firearm in or Upon Motor Vehicle or Self-Propelled Vehicle Designed for Land Travel; Conditions; Violation as Misdemeanor; Penalty.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:
(a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
- (i) Taken down.
- (ii) Enclosed in a case.
- (iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
- (iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
Where to Apply for Michigan Conceal Permit License
To obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol, an individual shall apply to the county clerk in the county in which the individual resides. Each applicant shall pay an application and licensing fee for Initial or Renewal of $115.00. County clerks shall provide concealed pistol application kits during normal business hours free of charge to individuals who wish to apply for licenses to carry concealed pistols. Each kit shall only contain all of the following:
- A concealed pistol license application form provided by the director of the department of state police.
- The fingerprint cards under section 5b(10), if required. Written information regarding the procedures involved in obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol.
- Written information identifying entities that offer the training required under section 5b(7)(c), if maintained by the county clerk.
A county clerk shall not deny an individual the right to receive a concealed pistol application kit under this section.
Michigan Conceal Carry Laws
Notify officer of Carry
YES – MUST INFORM OFFICER
If you are licensed to carry a concealed handgun and are stopped by the police then Michigan gun laws require you to immediately disclose that you are carrying a concealed weapon on you or in the vehicle. You must carry your permit/license at all times that you are carrying a concealed pistol, as well as your Driver’s License or state-issued ID card.The Law
In Michigan, Can you Conceal Carry in bar? Conceal Carry In Liquor establishments?YES – Without a permit. Carrying a handgun without a CPL license in Michigan is legal with a few restrictions. You cannot open carry at a business or grocery store that sell’s alcohol. … Non-residents who do not have a CCW license from their home state are not allowed to conceal or open carry.
Not allowed to carry in these areas
- Schools or school property but may carry while in a vehicle on school property while dropping off or picking up if a parent or legal guardian
- Public or private day care center, public or private child caring agency, or public or private child placing agency
- Courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business
- Sports arena or stadium
- A tavern where the primary source of income is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass consumed on the premises
- Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship
- An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more
- A hospital
- A dormitory or classroom of a community college, college, or university
- A Casino
- Michigan State University, University of Michigan, Wayne State University
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Carry in RestaurantYes
Carry in State Parks
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state not listed as Off-Limits
Premises that have signs that state no firearms allowed:
NO“No Weapons” signs are not mentioned in Michigan gun laws. There are no legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs. They have no force of law unless they are posted in areas that are mentioned by the law as being off limits.
Michigan Conceal Carry Application Forms
- Application for CPL License
- Appeal for CPL License Denial
- Public Records Request
- Notice to Firearm Purchasers
- Firearm Laws of Michigan Book
Michigan State Police Headquarters
Monday – Friday9am – 5pm
Address7150 Harris Drive
CityDimondale, Michigan 48821